Sunday 1 October 2017

LIVE REVIEW: DEPECHE MODE, CYNTHIA WOODS MITCHELL PAVILION PRESENTED BY HUNTSMAN, HOUSTON, 24 SEPTEMBER 2017

I genuinely have no idea how this venue came to have such a bizarre title. Anyway, moving on, today's review is provided by Wendy Grew from Kansas City, Missouri. Rather wonderfully, Wendy stepped in to review Houston when a Depeche fanbase wide plea went out from me and many others to get a reviewer lined up for Houston. Happily Wendy saw this and has written a great review for us with a twist - rather than tell you all about the gig, Wendy has given us access to her videos of it, meaning you can see Dave and co in action to judge the gig for yourselves. A cool idea - thanks very much Wendy. Fletch's dancing during I Feel You in the video below is surely a tour highlight. The videos are of course all Wendy's so don't nab them. Thanks as ever to Depeche Mode Classic Photos & Videos Facebook Group too.

Picture courtesy of Depeche Mode Classic Photos & Videos Facebook Group

“Good Evening Houston” This is Wendy, your guide to the Houston Depeche Mode show last Sunday at the Cynthia Mitchell Pavilion. 

I've been a DM fan since the 80’s. Violator was my first DM tour (my Dad took me) and I have been to multiple shows every tour since. During the Devotional tour, thanks to the bass player from Stabbing Westward, I got my first of a handful of future backstage passes. That night, also in this same venue, Martin Gore beat me in foosball after the show. I think I may have the honour of being the only person to mention Depeche Mode in their Doctoral dissertation for their Doctorate in music. Frankly it was a goal to get them included one way or another. I drove 13 hours one way for this show from Kansas City. Totally worth it! That is the short summation of my DM cred, the long one could take pages; now for the stuff you came for. 

What can I say that hasn’t already been said before? We all know the setlist including  Dave adding the chorus of Grand Master Flash's  The Message to the end of Barrel Of A Gun. I got sang to during Corrupt. (Not posting that video because I don’t have credit. But you can see it on my FB page). Yadda, Yadda… 

What you Devotees want is video, and I have it! I had the privilege of having a front row seat on Fletch’s side of the stage. So I took advantage of my great spot to bring you some highlights. 

(I blame my vertical filming on my excitement, forgive me.)

In Your Room:



World In My Eyes:



Cover Me:


A Question Of Lust:


Where's The Revolution:




Never Let Me Down Again:


"Heroes"



Had a couple moments with throughout the show with Fletch. This is one where he points at me and waves during I Feel You. Around :41 second mark.



Somebody (part 1)


Somebody (part 2)


Stripped:



Martin dancing at the end of Home:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks very much Wendy.












No comments:

Post a Comment